Saturday 30 July 2022

Hello and Welcome

 
I've noticed a slight increase in traffic on the blog in the last couple of days, which I hope means some new people reading it who might want to stick around.
I launched this blog 10 years ago, just after the 2012 BBC Convention in Cardiff, so perhaps it's time to give a quick recap on what I'm about, for the benefit of newer readers. 
The 10th anniversary was earlier this year. It wasn't any sort of modesty which stopped me celebrating the fact - I just didn't realise it until weeks later.
I concentrate on televised Doctor Who, covering the "Classic Era" from 1963 to 1989, and "Nu-Who", which began in 2005, plus the 1996 Paul McGann movie. Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures and Class are all considered canon with the TV series.

What you don't get:
I don't do audios, and I don't do novels. It's the televised series only.
The only merchandise I touch are the DVDs / Blu-rays of the TV stories, and just occasionally non-fiction works including the monthly magazine and its specials.
I'll comment on the news if it interests me and pertains to the TV series.
There are lots and lots of news and merchandise sites / blogs / vlogs elsewhere on-line, so I leave all that to them to cover.

What you do get:
I have been writing overviews of each story in order for quite some time, so am already on Peter Capaldi's second series. These I post roughly every 10 days.
Weekly, on a Sunday normally, I am writing an in-depth analysis of each individual episode, again from the start. This has reached the end of The Aztecs.
Other regular posts are "What's Wrong With...", an often humorous look at the fluffs, mistakes and plot holes for every story. This has reached Season 9. Usually posted weekly.
Then we have "Inspirations" - also weekly - wherein I look at how a story came to be written in the first place, including popular references. This has reached the 2006 series.
The other regular post is my 'A to Z', in which I have been providing a profile of every major character and race seen in the series and its spin-offs. This is about to complete the letter 'K'.
Since September 2021 I have been writing a short "On This Day..." feature daily, mentioning the episodes which debuted over the years, as well as significant birthdays / deathdays. Rather than just list these, as others do, I like to provide some narrative to go with them. One thing I've enjoyed doing with these is to highlight some of the series' lesser known contributors. This series will end in September this year, as otherwise I will just start repeating myself. I'm able to do these daily posts as I'm off work at the moment, but hope to remedy this by the Autumn.

That's the regular stuff. I also write reviews of new episodes as they come along, as well as of archive stories as they are released on DVD / Blu-ray.
Unfortunately I didn't bother with tags very much in the early years, so not everything is easy to locate that way, should you wish to go back and look through older stuff. Exploring off piste is more interesting anyway.
If you are new here, welcome, and I hope this gives you an idea of what TARDISmusings is about, and you'll visit often.

No comments:

Post a Comment