Sunday 11 September 2022

The Final On This Day - 11th September


I started this series of posts on 12th September, 2021, so today's brings us full circle. I was able to do this run as I have been off work following my health issues of last year, but I'm now looking to get back into work and expect my time to be more limited. It is also pointless to start the year all over again as I would simply be repeating myself. There's a post for every day of the year on the blog, and I started tagging the last few week's so that you can work backwards from them if you're new here.

Today we have the beginning of Season 3 in 1965, with Four Hundred Dawns - the first instalment of Galaxy 4.
In 1976 The Masque of Mandragora had moved onto its second episode.
Finally, in 2015, the Prologue to The Magician's Apprentice appeared on BBC i-Player.


Today we remember actor / director Hugh David, who died in 1987 aged 62.
He directed The Highlanders, which introduced Jamie, and Fury From The Deep, which saw the exit of Victoria. 
Before all that, he was asked to play the Doctor by Rex Tucker, the series' caretaker producer in 1963. His idea was obviously to have a younger actor play an older character, as an older actor might struggle with a lengthy, punishing schedule (which is exactly what happened).
David declined the offer. He had just finished his series Knight Errant and hated the increased public profile it had brought him. Nor did he want to commit to another long-running role.

No comments:

Post a Comment