Tuesday 16 April 2019

Season 10 on Blu-ray


I recently read that the next two Blu-ray box sets to be released after Season 18 would be numbers 10 & 26. This seems to have been spot on, as Season 10 has now been confirmed for release in the UK on Monday 8th July, which is the day after the centenary of Jon Pertwee's birth. So hopefully they'll actually manage to get this one out when they said they would, and not be moved back at least twice as with the last three releases. I frequently pre-order DVDs and Blu-rays, and I have found that the BBC are the only people who never manage to get the things out on time.
This time, the story to be given new CGI visual effects is Planet of the Daleks - just as I suggested when I posted recently on what stories might get this treatment. There's a glimpse of the Dalek arsenal in the trailer for this release, but I have to admit that it did not look all that impressive. There was also a shot of the TARDIS in space, which looked worse than the model.
"Behind the Sofa" this time will be Katy Manning, Richard Franklin and John Levene. I had hoped for Terrance Dicks. Levene only appears in two stories in this season, and Franklin only showed up half way through the last story, so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about material they never worked on. The other sofa-based panel comprises RTD era producer Phil Collinson, and Series 11 writers Pete McTighe and Joy Wilkinson. As much as I like Janet Fielding, I am glad she is sitting this one out as she does tend to dominate.
As you are no doubt fully aware, the stories in Season 10 are The Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters, Frontier in Space, Planet of the Daleks and The Green Death. Three of the five have already had Special Edition releases, so for me this will be the fifth time that I have bought The Three Doctors - twice on VHS, twice on DVD and now a Blu-ray.
Jo Grant's last appearance to date - SJA's Death of the Doctor - is also included in the set. There's also a documentary about director Lennie Mayne, and Katy and Stewart Bevan revisit Llanfairfach locations.
Presumably Season 26 will be following sometime in the Autumn. I have also read that Season 17 might be coming along soon as well - though I'd prefer it if they gave us a Hartnell or Troughton set next.

No comments:

Post a Comment